I’ve been a book reviewer for Coffee Time Romance for over a year now and I love it! Friends often ask me why I do it, usually the ones who don’t read much, although I’ve had the avid readers ask the same question as well. There are many reasons why I love to review books, but here are the top reasons why I do it, and why I think you should as well.
1. Whomever you review for will provide you with books, usually both e-books and paperbacks to review for free and you get to keep them after you review them. This right here is my number one reason for book reviewing. I’ve cut down my book spending by nearly 100%. I only purchase a book now if it is by a favorite author, and or if I’ve been reading a particular series by a particular author. So, if like me you want to save money on books, this is definitely the way to go.
2. You get exposure to new authors. This is my second favorite reasons for reviewing because I get to read a wide range of new authors, and have several new favorites now. And I don’t have to buy the book first and then find I don’t care for the author’s writing style!
3. You get books months in advance before they appear in the stores. ARCs or advanced reading copies are another great perk to reviewing. While there are sometimes handwritten changes, or grammatical errors in ARCs, it is never enough to take away from the story, at least in my experience. Also, getting to read a book before anyone else does is great! I’ve even had the opportunity to get a second book in a series that I was reading before it was out in the stores. This is another very nice perk to reviewing.
4. If you are an author yourself, this is a wonderful way to give back to the author community and the industry. In many ways this is how I see my reviewing, as a way to give back for all the helpful advice I’ve received from other authors, and to support the publishing industry in general.
5. If you someone who aspires to be an author, it is also a wonderful way to meet other authors, get advice and network. Generally speaking if you write the review you will be the one to contact the author when it is posted online or in print. I’ve struck up many a conversation on writing with other authors and gotten some really good advice from established authors as well when I was just starting out. Making friends with other authors is one of the fun aspects of being a reviewer.
6. I am also a Sr. Editor for Coffee Time Romance as well as a reviewer, and editing for them has definitely improved my grammar skills. While not all reviewing places offer this an option, some do, and if you want to get editing skills this can be one way to do so. As far as I’m concerned you’re never too old to learn something about grammar, punctuation, and editing.
7. You get to help choose books for awards. Coffee Time Romance offers a monthly reward to a special author, and as a reviewer I get to help choose who that author will be, and which of their books will receive the award. Another great way to give back to authors who work so hard to bring us great reads!
8. Most online reviewing places hold weekly chats for their members and the public. This is another great way to “meet” your favorite authors and learn about new ones. Since often reviewers are also chat moderators you may even get some one on one time with the author!
9. You get to help recruit other avid readers. Now this may not seem like a perk, after all you may be thinking “what do I get out of it?” but the truth is you do get something. You get to make your friend a happy reviewer, and you get to help the place you review for. Often reviewing places get more books than they can handle and the need for good, and dedicated reviewers is high. Sometimes the pleasure of being able to help is a reward in itself.
10. You learn about select opportunities offered by authors, such as contests and other perks before the rest of the public. Often these perks, and opportunities to win things may only be offered at particular events held by the place you review for. So, this is another opportunity to win free books, and prizes as well.
These are just my favorite ten reasons for being a book reviewer, there are others of course. I hope you’ll consider being a book reviewer after reading this article, because there is a high demand for good and dedicated reviewers. If you are interested in becoming a book reviewer you can check out the following websites Coffee Time Romance, E-cata Romance Reviews(this one does not accept authors or aspiring authors as reviewers),Fallen Angel Reviews(the details are at the very bottom of the page).