Utilities are one of the places that you can end up spending a lot of your money if you aren’t careful. However, it doesn’t have to be that way, you can learn to save money on your utilities if you apply the following 10 tips.
1. Don’t turn the heat on in rooms you aren’t using during the Fall and Winter months, the same goes for running fans or air conditioning in the Spring and Summer. You will notice savings on your bill almost immediately.
2. Keep the heat turned down to sixty degrees and add a sweater if you are cold instead of keeping the heat turned up higher.
3. Turn off the lights in rooms that aren’t occupied, and when you are not home. Many high electricity bills are because children and others forget to turn off lights in rooms they’ve left.
4. Don’t run the dishwasher unless it is full of dirty dishes. Instead if you need one or two items wash them by hand, rather than running the dishwasher just to clean a few dishes. This will decrease your water bill dramatically.
5. Make it a point not to run water when you are not using it, such as when you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes by hand. This is money going down the drain when you leave a faucet running and you aren’t using the water.
6. Replace the light bulbs in the lights you use the most with the new florescent bulbs, they shed 4 times as much light and last 10 times as long. You will see big savings on your electric bill.
7. Another tip for cutting back on your electric bill is to use your clothes dryer less. Instead buy clothes drying racks and hang your clothes up to dry, this also saves on the life of the clothing by having less wear and tear.
8. When you can use your microwave to cook instead of your oven, do so. This can give you up to 50% savings on your electric bill.
9. Wait to do laundry until you have a full load. Doing a couple of full loads of laundry as opposed to several small ones uses less water, and hence saves on your water bill.
10. Stick to a basic phone plan for your phone service, extras such as call waiting, and forwarding add extra costs. Another option is to get a phone service that has local and long distance, as well as the extras for a flat rate. Comcast offers digital phone service with all this for less than $60 a month, and when they run specials it can be as low as $33 per month for the first year!
All of these tips will save you money on your utility bills, and that is money you can put into savings, use for other things, or even recycle to one or all of your next month’s utilities!