Who you calling Spinster?!10 Ways to Celebrate Single Life on Valentine’s Day
I grew up in a household where my sisters married young and started families. I always felt the pressure to do the same and society didn’t help much, especially when it came to a day like Valentine’s. Yet, single women are beginning to once again be seen for themselves and achievements, and not their lack of marriage.
Below I have come up with ten ways we singletons can celebrate, empower ourselves and spend the day with a truly wonderful person, you.
01. Treat Yourself to a Day at the Spa! Gentle and invigorating massages, exfoliating mud baths, calming aromatherapy, purifying saunas, clarifying acupressure are just some of the many ways you can pamper yourself and let your self-love shine, plus think of how your skin will look the next day.
02. Do Something Crazy! Have long have you been wanting to sky dive? How about that craving for kayaking? Get out that “To Do Before I Die” List and start marking stuff off! This is you life, take charge and start living it.
03. Reveal Your Wild Side! Spend some time with animals as it has been proven that to subside any feelings of loneliness in a person. Go to the zoo or a petting farm and spend some time with our four-legged kith and kin. Who knows, you might even come back with a new friend.
04. Unleash the Inner Muse! Many people abandon their childhood dreams of painting, sculpting, and/or writing once the rigidity of modern life stress settles in. Use this day as a way to reclaim your Muse and pick up that brush or pen again. Not only could you discover that your talent never left, but this has highly meditative attributes and don’t you deserve a break?
05. Volunteer at a Shelter! Find a local shelter, church, nursing home, Salvation Army or the like and offer your services. You can ask anyone who has done this before and they will tell you the sense of joy and peace it provides to help someone less fortunate than yourself. Love comes from many places, not just from a significant other. Share that love and it will come back to you.
06. Have an All-Girls Night! Gather up your single friends and/or co-workers and spend the night like a group of teens. Watch movies from the 80’s, give each other a mani-pedi, laugh to old TV shows like I Love Lucy, and share stories of encouragement. Celebrate friendship, as we adults know how life can distance even the closet of friends.
07. Mentor Someone! Perhaps you have a niece, cousin or nephew or even a child of a close friend who doesn’t get to spend a lot of time with their parents. Offer to spend the day with them. Not only will you have a blast, you will also bring a smile to that child’s face.
08. Get Back to Nature! Get away from the city and back to the outdoors. Urban centers are filled with all sorts of pollutants; fresh air can do wonders to your body and well-being. Go hiking, visit a waterfall, or a botanical garden.
09. Learn Something New! Tired of watching Food Network and feeling nothing but envy towards Rachel Ray? Join a cooking class! You can also join a knitting class, yoga class or anything you’ve been dying to try. Nothing makes a person feel better than a sense of accomplishment.
10. Soul Search! Spend the day relaxing and learning about alternative spirituality and therapies. Meditate and be one with yourself. Journal and express your deepest inner thoughts. Find out who you truly are and embrace her. Happiness is found within ourselves not outside.