We all know the health benefits associated with fiber, but we also know it’s difficult to get in our recommended daily intake. So what can you do to get more fiber into your diet? Contrary to popular belief, getting more fiber into your diet doesn’t mean you have to start eating saw dust. There are some painless steps you can take to introduce more fiber into your diet without undergoing a major lifestyle change.
1. Switch to Whole Wheat Bread. It’s heartier and healthier than white bread and it has more fiber. But be careful about the labels. Wheat bread is not the same as whole wheat bread. If it doesn’t say that it’s 100% Whole Wheat don’t be fooled. It’s not likely to be as fiber-filled as you think. But the real stuff is an easy substitute you can make to get more fiber into your diet.
2. Switch to Brown Rice. Most brown rice has a nuttier flavor than its white rice cousin, but there are varieties that don’t taste much different at all. Brown rice takes a little longer to cook than white rice, but it also freezes better. Which means you can make it ahead of time for convenience’s sake, and just microwave it when you need it. It’s a much healthier alternative to white rice with more fiber per serving.
3. Use La Tortilla Factory Brand Wraps. This company has made a specialty of preparing delicious tortillas, burrito wrappers, and sandwich wraps that contain high amounts of fiber without sacrificing any of the taste you’ve come to expect. Just one La Tortilla burrito wrap has more than half your daily recommended intake of fiber. Additionally, La Tortilla Factory wraps are made with no trans fats or hydrogenated fats. They’re very convenient for making healthy sandwich wraps on the go. And if you’re watching carbs, you’re in luck. Because La Tortilla Factory wraps are less than 100 calories and have only 3-5 carbs per serving.
4. Cook with Beans. Beans are an excellent source of both protein and fiber, making them superior to meat in many ways. Introduce a nice veggie chili once a week, or add beans to your soups and salads. Beans will make for a more filling meal, and provide plenty of fiber in your diet.
5. FiberSure. Every now and then, a miraculous product enters the market; FiberSure is one of them. This clear-mixing fiber supplement is odorless and tasteless. You can literally mix it into your water bottle and never know it’s there. Even better, you can add it to foods and baked goods. FiberSure makes your baked goods more filling, and introduces fiber without anybody knowing. It blends right into cakes, cookies, and muffins without your having to change your recipe. It doesn’t get easier than that.