With a family of five here, I am always looking for new ways to save money. I have learned through friends, family and the lovely Internet all kinds of ways to keep an extra buck in my pocket. As always I’m here to share with you how I do this.
1. Shop at a grocery store where you bag your own items. These stores don’t have to mark their products up as much because they don’t have to pay for baggers. A lot of them make you pay for the bags. This also cuts down on the price of the items that they sell because their not paying for all them bags that people use. If you bring your own bags then you wont need to pay for theirs. If you are anything like me, you have all kinds of shopping bags piled up.
2. Buy your meat at a meat market, not at the local grocery store. Your meat will be fresher and you get exactly what you want. You can tell them exactly how much hamburger you may need that day. Not settle for whats in the package. So if you need 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger , that’s what you get. At the grocery store you may have to buy 2 pounds, and then that 1/2 pound you paid for goes to waste.
3. After holiday sales are the best time to buy snacks. Things like chips and candy will be as much as 75% off the very next day. These packages always have some sort of holiday decoration on them, but the candy on the inside is always the same. My husband has a bad sweet tooth. I’m always buying him candy. After holidays, I stock up as much as possible.
4. Do you have a certain brand of cheese you use? Or a certain brand of anything that you must have? I know that I do. Their are certain things that I refuse to use another brand. Call the toll free number on the package and visit their websites. They will often have mailing list you can get on. Throughout the year they will send you coupons and often free samples. I love when I get free samples, or the coupon that says try it free. I love trying new things, But i hate paying for something, when I have no clue if anyone is going to like them or not.
5. Find out the peak hours with your gas and electric company. They often have certain times in the day when their rates are much higher. If you find out what the peak hours are, you can do the small things during the off peak hours. Like most off peak hours will be in the middle of the night. So before you go to bed that night, start you washer, dryer and the dish washer. This will save you some great money on your bills.
6. Paper statements are a thing of the past. Some companies are starting to charge for paper statements. You may not even realize they are doing this. Some companies even offer a discount of you receive your bills online. If you have access to a computer all the time then this might be worth checking into. For example, My cell phone company will give me $5.00 of every bill that is paperless. That’s a savings of $60.00 a year. That’s almost a whole phone bill for free.
7. If you do a lot of online shopping , check out the stores shipping policy. If you have a store near you then this is a great deal. Most stores will let you shop online and then have it shipped to the store of your choice for free. That could save you a bundle is shipping charges.
8. If you fall into the senior category start using it to your advantage. You will save money at a lot of places you go. Seniors often get anywhere between 10%-25% off normal items. I know certain clothes and grocery stores do this. Try it next time your out to eat or even at the movies. Even on your utility bills you can receive a senior discount