Fort Wayne, Indiana has over 200 apartment communities. Because of this the choices are varied, to say the least. The disparity between the good, the bad and the ugly are sometimes ambiguous.
The residents of Fort Wayne -unlike other communities, often move from community to community. This is due to the wide range of apartment homes, but also has a lot to do with housing trends and apartment competition.
As a former property manager in the city of Fort Wayne, I have the unique perspective of seeing the Fort Wayne area apartment industry from a different angle than many. I am also a lifetime resident of the city -who has not only owned real estate, but also resided in several of the apartment communities.
Because there are so many communities, I decided to take a sampling from each area of the city and break the list of ten down into a top ten list. This way – the consumer – or reader can get a good idea of the accommodations throughout the area.
I used only one significant criterion in judging these complexes. Where the buyer will get the best bang for his buck. With that in mind -read on.
1) Brandy Chase Apartments and Town homes: This community is located in a quiet, country-like location in northwest Fort Wayne. They have extremely high rents for the city median income – however, you get your money’s worth. They are wonderfully, gorgeous apartments, maintenance is prompt, very few, if any noise problems, and good security – make this community the best bang for your buck.
2) Canterbury Green Apartments. Located in the northern end of Fort Wayne, this beautiful, fully loaded apartment complex used to be known as the place where all the people who had middle to high incomes lived. There is an on-site 18 hole golf course, health club and fireplace option in some apartments. The area is low-risk security – although that is always subject to change.
3) Lake Forest Village Apartments: The best selling point of this community is the fact that it has low heating bills – a very big selling point in this northeast Indiana city. Rents are placed toward the citizenry income range. It is also very close to all the highway arteries in the area – along with shopping centers within easy distance. What this complex lacks in amenities (which most people don’t use anyway) -it more than makes up for in those normal fact of life bills that regular people have to pay.
4) Avalon at Northbrook Apartments – These are fabulous apartments (if looks is all that matters). Their rents are high range and they have a sluggish maintenance crew. However, all the amenities side, there is a movie theater, business center and 24 hour clubhouse.
5) The Reserve at Dawson’s Creek: The rents here are ridiculous for the Fort Wayne area – but probably keep out “undesirables” which is what they are absolutely intended to do. The apartments are stunning, though, with bay windows and lots of room. Oh, and they also have Free Tanning BEDS!! They rate a five on this list, though, because they are way out of range for this city community.
6) Arbor Lakes: Arbor Lakes is one of the newest apartment communities in Fort Wayne. They accept large pets – which can be quite a plus. And their rents are consistent with city incomes. They offer fireplaces and garages, a nice touch.
7) Hunt Club Apartments: This apartment community sits low on the totem pole for one significant reason. Rents are way too high for the product marketed. But they do highlight hot tubs!
8) Willow Creek Crossing: This community is located on the city’s southeast side and is the only one in this list that does so. Willow Creek Crossing would have been higher on the list because, although, a much older complex than most – it does have great rents for product. The apartments are roomy and well-laid out. Maintenance is fairly responsive. And the landscape is actually second to none in the city. However, their security and customer relations need lots of improvement.
9) Colony Bay Apartments: Located on the southwest swanky side of Fort Wayne- Colony Bay has very reasonable rents. They also have a nice atmosphere with a large lake on the premises. The community also offers an outdoor and inside pool. But, the apartments themselves leave a lot to be desired. Only one entryway on most units leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to safety. Security is undesirable -if not non-existent – and maintenance is non-responsive.
10) Poplar Ridge Apartments: Cheap rents and cheap apartments. Security fictional. High maintenance turnover. You get what you pay for here. ‘Nuff said!
So, there you have it. This is a sampling of ten apartments in the wide Fort Wayne apartment community. As you can see there are diverse qualities throughout the city. Depending on your needs and wants. Most of these comments would not be listed in advertisements for the apartment communities -that’s why I wrote this. Sometimes an insider’s viewpoint is just what the doctor ordered. Happy Hunting.