Arguments against euthanasia? No, I do not have any. But I do have several reasons I am in favor of euthanasia.
But I’ll play devil’s advocate here and see where it leads me.
1) To kill is to go against God’s word. It is murder and that would be in violation of Commandment number six. Right?
2) To assist someone in the act of committing suicide is wrong, as well. According to 1 Corinthians, 6:19-20 (KJV) “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” This has implications that we belong to God. He chose for us to live so that we may have eternal life with Him.
3) Pain and suffering are part of being human. It is what makes us strong.
4) God has a plan for us.
5) Genesis 9: 6 “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.”
There are my devil’s advocate reasons. And I actually do value them.
Here are my reasons for not playing devil’s advocate.
1) Yes, God has a plan for us. I get that, but I do fully believe that He forgives us for our sins.
2) Sometimes, pain and suffering are so debilitating and crippling as to stagnate us in our lives and to create mental blocks in our “morally right choices”. It’s all we can do to simply make the pain stop. To cease the suffering.
3) As God has plans for each of us, and as individuals, not as a whole, then who is to say that His plan was carried out as He intended. Remember we are not to question why when we cannot understand as we are not divine.
4) Maybe He wanted us to have this debate.
5) We all have a “right to life”
There are so many organizations representing both sides. If you want to make an informed decision as to where your opinion really lies, then research both. Go to www.thegospelway.com or www.euthanansia.org and weigh both sides carefully. Although this is by far an emotional decision for the indivual, think of the Terri Schiavo’s of the world- unable to give voice to their emotions or to even be cognizant of what they might be. In this debate, know your facts.
I am a supporter of euthanasia. Both for animals and people. I am not one to want to see a being suffer. Whether four legged or two.
But is they is hope, is there is desire, if there is a yearning to hang on until …well -then I am completely in favor of that, too.