Ah, Black Friday. In Sylva, Black Friday means hitting the local Super Center Walmart. Black Friday also means lots of bargains with lots of people. On Black Friday, the Walmart in Sylva turns into a sea of people. It can be really overwhelming. The store is huge, the bargains are spread throughout the store, and people are literally running over you to capture a great bargain. It’s enough to make some people scream, but not hardcore shoppers like myself. We get in there and snatch up those Black Friday bargains. Do I have a game plan to tackle such an event? You bet I do.
1. Review Walmart’s sales paper. If you live in Sylva, or nearby, you will receive a sales paper in your mailbox with Walmart’s Black Friday bargains. It’s important to review this paper to see exactly what they’ll have for their Black Friday sale. You don’t want to enter the store without some idea of the bargains they have.
2. Make a list and check it twice. Okay, you’re not looking for the naughty and nice, but you will want to right down any Black Friday bargains Walmart may have listed in their sales paper. I know you think you won’t forget any of these great bargains, but trust me, when you enter the store and see all those people, you will forget everything. A list keeps you on track. Make the list according to the layout of the store.
3. The Black Friday sale at Walmart lasts from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. This is important to know. You want to be there right when they open. While they will still have some Black Friday bargains left, all the really good bargains will be gone by 6:30 a.m. or 7 a.m. So pay attention to the hours.
4. Arrive early. People will start to pile up quickly, so arrive early. This is important to finding good bargains. This will give you time to work out a game plan of how you will attack the store. Otherwise you’ll be running back and forth. This also gives you time to scope out the store.
5. Scope out the store. Like any other dangerous mission, you will want to scope out the area. If your Walmart is open 24 hours, they should be open before the sale begins. The best thing to do is arrive at 5:30 a.m. and find out where all the Black Friday bargains are. These will be pretty easy to locate. Most bargains will be on large palates, wrapped in black plastic. They do try and keep most bargains in the section that it belongs, such as toys in the toy section and clothes in the clothing section, but sometimes they run out of room, so just ask associates. There will be associates guarding the palates wrapped in black plastic.
6. Be aware of limited quantities. Walmart will only have so many of each item. Some items will sell out quickly. Some of these items include electronics and toys. Make note if the sales paper mentions limited quantities and find those items first.
7. Be prepared to stand in line. If there is a great bargain on a toy or electronic item, be prepared to stand in line for that item. Also, remember to get there early so you can be first in line.
8. Go with someone. Having someone with you, when you hit a Black Friday sale, will ensure you find and remember everything on your list. A friend can also rush off to find larger items while you stay with the buggy. It’s almost impossible to get a buggy through the sea of people. Also, while you stand in line waiting for an item, that person can get the rest of the items on the list.
9. Split up the store. If you take someone with you, give them part of the list and attack the store from both sides. This way, you will be able to get the great bargains in both the toys and electronics departments.
10. Remember that popular items will go first. If there is a bargain on something like a laptop, remember that those items will sell out quickly. Not only will there be a line, but most people in that line will not receive that bargain. It’s important to be at the front for this reason and have this item on the top of your list.
I hope these tips help you find great bargains this Black Friday. These tips can be used at any Walmart, not just the one in Sylva. Happy shopping!