If you’re like me, you probably have a number of old magazines lying around the house that you no longer have room for but can’t get up the nerve to throw them away. Would it surprise you to learn you can make money with those little gems?
Many people assume a magazine only has value if it’s very old but nothing could be further from the truth. People value magazines for their information. If you have a magazine with hard-to-find information about a particular product, hobby, person or a magazine article that solves a very specific problem, people will gladly pay money for it.
People also value magazines for their photos. Magazines depicting hard-to-find photos of particular celebrities, leaders, criminals or other persons of interest, particularly if those photos are hard-to-find, can be in high demand.
Here are some ways you can profit from old magazines:
1. Flip through your magazines and find articles containing information on how to do something related to a hobby. It should be information that’s not easily found elsewhere. For example, I sold an article on how to make raku beads on Ebay auctions for almost $20.00. Sell the article along with the complete magazine on Ebay. It’s important that you list the article under the appropriate Ebay category. If you’re selling an article on building a ceramics kiln, list it under crafts followed by one of the ceramics categories. Don’t list it under the magazine category as this is too general. Other articles that can be sold using this technique are hard-to-find articles on different collectibles which can be found in such magazines as Antiques Magazine.
2. Look for magazines with cover photos of popular celebrities. If the celebrity generates alot of interest or is controversial in some capacity, this makes the magazine even more sellable. Surprisingly enough, it’s often the lesser known celebrities that garner the bids on Ebay since there are fewer covers featuring them available. If in doubt regarding the salability of a particular magazine, you can do an Ebay search using the celebrity name and see how quickly items relating to that particular celebrity sell. Again, Ebay is the best place to sell magazines with celebrity cover photos. If there’s an inside photo spread of the celebrity, be sure to mention this in your description.
3. Look for older issues of popular magazines, particularly the first few issues produced. Those issues tend to be less common since fewer were produced. They’re also in greater demand because fewer people have them since the magazine wasn’t well known at the time of initial publication. Of particular interest are early issues of niche publications on specific hobbies or collectibles, especially if the magazine is now out of print. Some of these issues can bring very high prices on Ebay!
4. Another way to profit from older magazines is to look for old ads for watches, cars, beer, coca cola and other item people now deem worth of collecting. Carefully, remove the ads from the magazine and you can sell them to collectors who will frame them and display them as art. You can sell just the ad or you can frame the ad yourself and sell it as a completed work of art. Again, it’s easy to do research on Ebay to see what sells and what doesn’t.
5. If you have large groups of one particular publication, for example a years worth of Martha Stewart LIving magazine, you can sell the magazines as a set. Often magazines that won’t sell well individually can be sold in groups of three of more issues.
6. If a magazine has a cover created by a famous person, the magazine can be sold on the merit of it’s cover. For example, a magazine with a Norman Rockwell or Maxwell Parrish cover may be in great demand with collectors.
7. If all else fails or if you don’t have time to put your magazines up on auction, you can display them at your next yard sale and sell them for 25 cents each. You’ll be surprised at how quickly those quarters can add up!
I hope this article gives you some ideas on how you can make money with magazines and declutter your house at the same time. Who knows, if all goes well you can turn this into a part time business by buying magazines at garage and estate sales and reselling them for big profits!