Although pizza may not be an authentic American food, we are certainly responsible for making it popular. More than three billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year. This represents an industry in excess of $30 billion. Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza per day, which equates to roughly 350 slices per second.
The pizza pie is, of course, of Italian origin. In the beginning it consisted of a shallow bread-like crust covered with seasoned tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings like sausage or olives. The word pizza stems from an old Italian word meaning “a point,” which eventually became the Italian word “pizzicare” which means to pinch or to pluck.
Much disagreement exists over the exact origin of pizza. Some say it was invented by the Phoenicians. Others say that the Greeks are responsible for it. Still others claim the prize for the Romans. In reality, it could have been anyone who learned the secret of mixing flour with water and heating it on a hot stone. In the end, it really doesn’t matter who invented it because pizza is here to stay!
As with most communities, the Virginia Peninsula has a large number of pizza parlors. There are the standards: Pizza Hut, Dominoe’s Pizza, and Papa Johns as well as numerous franchises and mom and pop operations. However, for the best pizza on the Peninsula there is only one place to go: Chanello’s. This franchise business has been active in the Tidewater area (which also includes the Virginia Peninsula) since 1987.
Chanello’s offers a variety of pizza choices in traditional hand tossed, thin, and crispy crust: You can start with a traditional cheese pizza and add the toppings of your choice. A small 10″ pie begins at $5.49; a medium at $6.99; and a large at $9.49. Add $1.00 per additional topping to make the pizza of your heart’s desire. You can also choose from a large variety of Chanello’s specialty pizzas, which include:
- Alexander the Greek with a crust brushed with olive oil, seasoned with basil and oregano, and topped with fresh spinach, sliced pork, onions, roma tomatoes, olives, feta, and mozzarella cheeses;
- Spinach-Roma with a crust brushed with olive oil of seasoned with basil and oregano and topped with diced garlic, fresh spinach, onions, roma tomatoes, real bacon, and mushrooms;
- Pizza Supreme with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and green peppers;
- The Favorite with Canadian bacon, ground beef, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and black olives;
- Meat Lovers with pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, Canadian bacon, and real bacon;
- Bacon Double Cheeseburger with heavy portions of ground beef, real bacon, and double cheese;
- Veggie with green peppers, mushrooms, onions, black olives, tomatoes, banana peppers and optional ingredients spinach, feta cheese, jalapeno and pineapple;
- Hawaiian with Canadian bacon, ham, pineapple, and double cheese;
- White Pizza with a crust brushed with olive oil, seasoned with basil and oregano and topped with slices garlic, sausage, onions, green peppers, and tomatoes for a “spicy” treat;
- The E.B.A. which means everything but anchovies;
- BBQ Chicken will grilled chicken, onions, diced garlic, and BBQ sauce;
- Chicken Florentine with a crust brushed with olive oil, seasoned with basil and oregano, and topped with sliced garlic, grilled chicken, fresh spinach, and roma tomatoes for a “spicy” delight; and
- Chicken Supreme with grilled chicken, onions, mushrooms, and green peppers.
Prices begin at $8.99 for a small; $11.99 for a medium; or $14.99 for a large.
Chanello’s also offers foot-long subs beginning at $6.99:
- Philly Cheese Steak with sliced sirloin steak sautéed with mushrooms, onions, and green peppers on a toasted sub-roll with loads of cheese;
- Chicken Fajita with southwestern grilled chicken sautéed with onions, green peppers, and tomatoes on a toasted sub roll with cool ranch and loads of cheese;
- Super Sub with ham, salami, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, pizza sauce, and cheese;
- Cheese Meatball with juicy seasoned meatballs, pizza sauce, and cheese;
- Beef BBQ with grilled sirloin steak, BBQ sauce, onions, and cheese;
- Classic Italian with ham, salami, mayo, onions, green peppers, banana peppers, and cheese sprinkled with oregano and topped with lettuce, tomato, oil, and vinegar;
- The Club Sub with turkey, ham, bacon, cheese, mayo, lettuce, and tomato;
- California Veggie with Italian sauce, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, banana peppers, black olives, and cheese as well as optional lettuce and tomato; and the
- USS Norfolk with turkey, ham, steak, cheese, onions, green peppers, mayo, lettuce, tomato, oil, and vinegar.
Additional menu items which include:
- Cheese Breadstix (ranging in price from $5.49 to $9.49) made from their famous pizza crust, brushed with garlic-butter and topped with loads of cheese then baked to a golden brown and served with a choice of pizza sauce or ranch dressing;
- Dessert Pizza comprised of pizza crust covered with a choice of cherry or apple dessert filling, crumble topping, and baked golden brown and finally drizzled with sweet vanilla icing for $4.99 each; and
- Wings in Texas-size or Buffalo-style for $7.99 each.
Chanello’s offers carry out, pick up, or delivery service between 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. They accept cash, VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
From time to time, Chanello’s runs coupon offers which makes their already great prices even better.
We love our Chanello’s, which is located at 10153 Jefferson Avenue in Newport News, Virginia. It is managed by Terry Foster; a businessman of honor and integrity who seeks only to offer the best food quality and variety coupled with outstanding customer service.
To find out if a Chanello’s is located close to you, check www.chanellospizza.com. After all, as their motto says “Nothin’ Beatsa Pizza – from Chanello’s” and they are right!