One definition of a prostitute is a “person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.” Ok, I can live with that, and just leave the money in my PayPal account on your way out.
So what is a page view prostitute? When one writes content with popular search terms (keywords) for the purpose of increased page views, hence money. Additionally, writing about subjects you would otherwise not, merely to increase page views. This profession has grown by leaps and bounds with the advent of Google AdSense, the largest paying contributor.
Most people in the concrete world do not know about my page view profession, I don’t mean as a writer, either. By day I am a respectable online media professional. By night I am a page view whore on the prowl for the best keywords for myself and my clients. I satisfy most every Google AdSense need, as well as my own, and I will even pretend to like my work too, for a bonus.
Do I like performing MySpace? Oh yeah, almost one-million keyword searches daily generates plenty of page views. My specialty keyword phrase is ‘MySpace layouts’, but I will fulfill many other MySpace needs. Nevermind that I never touch the site personally, at least until now. But man, the increased page views are very satisfying. Digitally moan the keyword MySpace 28 times in the same 650-word article for best results.
How about “Britney Spears pantyless“? Well, I’d need some _serious_ dough for that keyword phrase. Panties or no panties Britney Spears is not my forte. I didn’t realize panties, or the lack of them, were such a big deal. That is until I did some work for a lingerie Web site client, who understandably maintains a lingerie keyword fetish.
This is how I ended up conducting an interview on “panties for men”, with the owner of such a lingerie shop. With limited keyword optimization, it being an interview, the article received nearly 4,000 hits in two weeks. Not my best page view work but it’s decent.
Yet, I don’t think men’s, or women’s, lingerie is what my mother had in mind for my career, nor did I.
I’m not saying I compromised my morality because of the topic, but rather my journalistic interests. If I were not a page view prostitute, it is doubtful I would be writing about underwear -or MySpace. Topics in health and world events would be the focus but they don’t pay the rent as readily. Increased page views are (almost) all that counts.
Before revealing more of this confession, I will say that I sincerely tried to get out of this business. Then Associated Content had to go an offer a page view bonus, or so-called performance bonus. Us keyword working girls, and guys, find that hard to resist. New to page view prostitution? Well, I’ll give you a little advice, but just remember this is my digital block. Find your own keyword corner.
Compromised Principles for Increased Page Views
1. Be nice to people you don’t like or know, and compliment work that you’d rather condemn. Reciprocal page views will result. Honesty is not appreciated in this business as much as is claimed.
2. Comment on blogs and articles, such as on Associated Content, and out in the blogosphere. If they are not a client, you can opt for rudeness if that’s your style -just remember to provide a return link to your content.
3. Feign interested in at least one popular topic, or several hot keyword subjects, along with the topics of your choice. Academics find this adjustment a bit difficult.
4. Write sexy headlines. If the headline is dull you won’t get a second glance on Cyber Street. Avoid gaudy, embellished headlines though, they are almost as bad.
5. Use unique keywords or variations of popular keywords. Find a niche’ to minimize the competition.
6. Rabidly employ the tricks of the keyword trade. Learn what is in demand, and how to write about it.
7. Join an online clique, or forum, if you can stomach it. Independent working girls work better in packs.
8. Strut your stuff. Shameless self-promotion is the key to increased page views.
A handful of articles on keyword optimization and increased page views to get you started:
- One Million Pageviews in Six Months
- Shameless Self-Promotion 5-Miutes to More Page Views
- How to Utilize Keywords and Keyword Density
- Top 10 Internet Marketing Sites for 2006
- 10 Tips for Promoting Your Blog or Web Site on MySpace
- Using Blog Rings to Raise Your Page Rank
Now, before you judge page view prostitution tactics, consider this. Do you want to be broke and keep your lofty standards, or do you want to make money? Are you writing for yourself or your readers? They need keywords to find you. Lastly, compromising your preferred topic is one thing, just don’t compromise your dignity, and never plagiarize. In addition, remember, once you are in the page view business and perform well, it is difficult to get out.