Easter and springtime make the perfect combination for creating a few outdoor crafts. The Easter season often prompts the beginning of Spring days and more sunshine. Two crafts that are easy to make are the Sunflyer and the Whispering Wind Dancer. Both can be displayed outside for a nice addition to the front yard or back deck.
The Sunflyer is a craft that most children should be able to make with some adult assistance. This craft creates a brightly colored “sun” that will move with the breeze when put outside. Long ribbons decorate the bottom of the “sun” to give it added decoration. There are different variations for what supplies you can use to decorate the “sun” part of the craft.
-A Heavy Duty Paper Plate
-One Sheet of Yellow Craft Foam
-Any Colored Wide Width Ribbon (about 4 feet)
-Masking Tape or Heavy Duty Tape
-Thin Ribbon or String (for hanging the Sunflyer)
*Decoration Choices: colored tissue paper squares (1-2 inches each), craft gems, large sequins, colored buttons.
1. Trace about ten triangle shapes on the yellow craft foam sheet, approximately one inch wide at the bottom. Cut out the triangles.
2. Glue each yellow triangle around the edge of the back of the paper plate.
3. Cut the colored ribbon into 3-4 strips about 18 inches long or so. Glue each ribbon strip to the back of the paper plate.
4. Cut approximately 12 inches of thin ribbon or string and tie together in a double knot. Take a piece of masking ot heavy duty tape at tape this to the top of the back of the plate, centered in the middle.
5. Flip paper plate over and set to dry for a few minutes. Bring out the decoration supplies that you have chosen and be ready to glue.
7. Put some glue on the plate, starting with small sections. Place decorative supplies (tissue squares, buttons, sequins, or gems) on the paper plate, over the glue and gently press down to secure. Continue gluing in small sections until the paper plate is completely covered.
8. Allow to dry on a flat surface for at least an hour. Hang inside or outside on a small hook or nail. The Sunflyer looks great displayed on a front porch or on a flower basket hanger.
Whispering Wind Dancers
The Whispering Wind Dancer is another great craft to display outdoors in the Spring and Summer. This craft is also kid friendly and most children should need only minimal assistance over the age of 7.
-One empty coffee can or similar container
-2 to 3 craft foam sheets in any colors
-Thin Ribbon (single or multiple color spools)
-Decorations: Craft foam sheet cut outs, glitter, craft gems or sequins (any of thes may be used to decorate the outside of the Whispering Wind Dancer)
1. Measure one craft foam sheet to fit the outside of the coffee can or container. Leave about 1/2 inch extra craft foam at the top and bottom. Use hole puncher to punch several holes around the bottom of the craft foam sheet. Punch two holes directly across from each other at the top part of the craft foam sheet.
2. Glue the craft foam sheet to the container/coffee can, holding it pressed to the container until set firmly.
3. Cut ribbons into many different length strands, at least 12 inches or longer.
4. Take a few ribbon strands and push through each hole punch on the bottom of the craft foam and tie in a small knot at the top. Repeat this until all the hole punch holes have ribbon streaming through them.
5. Push one ribbon strand (12 inches) through the top two holes in the craft foam and tie in a knot to secure.
6. Decorate the outside of the Whispering Wind Dancer with chosen decorations and glue around the covered container. Press each decoration gently when gluing to secure it in place. Let dry for at least one hour.
7. Hang ouside on a hook or inside above the sink or a window.