In the movie, “Failure to Launch”, the issue of adult men living with their parents is examined in a humorous and comedic storyline. In society today, a man’s “failure to launch” is perceived as acceptable and, in some cases, expected. Unfortunately, as women have become more independent, men seem to have regressed into a more dependent mode of thinking. Almost remaining child-like until their mid-30’s. Not sure if you’ve found “Mr. Right”? If your man carries any of these characteristics, then he may be, instead, “Mr. Right Now” and nothing more. Here are the signs of a man who has “failed to launch”:
10. He Still Lives At Home: This is a given. If the man you are dating still lives with his parents, run! And don’t fall prey to his excuse, “I’m taking care of my sick parents.”
9. His Cell Phone Account Is Not In His Name: This is not to say that he can’t have a corporate or company account. However, if your man has a cell phone, but is not accountable for the payments made on time, as well as the payments made late, it’s time to hang this one up. A cell phone is a basic form of communication. As a man, he should be able to get an account in his own name. If he can’t, or won’t, accept financial responsibility, let his parents keep him!
8. He Shops More Than You Do: Of course, as women, we love to receive gifts. But what if the gifts are abundant and excessive? The issue of concern may not be his desperate measures to impress you. Instead, this may be a clear indication of “role reversal”. One in which he is carrying the personality traits of a woman and, believe me, there isn’t enough room for two “women” in your house! A man who shops more than you do has an addiction, a mental disorder, or both.
7. He’s Never Written a Check Nor Purchased a Stamp: This seems rather unbelievable, but, there are men out there who have never written a check. They carry cash and, when a bill arrives, he will give the cash to his mother who, in turn, writes a check for him. If he has never written a check, does not have a checking account or doesn’t know how to balance a checkbook, do you really want him handling your finances or giving you financial advice? Ask if he’s ever bought a postage stamp! You may be surprised at his answer. Need I say more?
8. His Mother Still Washes His Clothes: Overnight stay at your house? Did he leave his clothes? Of course he did! He expects you to wash them! When you don’t wash them, he begins packing his clothes back into his overnight bag so “his mother can wash them”. When asked what he will do when his mother is no longer able to wash his clothes, his response is, “I’ll just take them to the cleaners!” Yes, ladies, that’s right! Underwear and all!
6. He Still “Checks” In: Oh! How sweet! Your man calls his mother everyday. Just to “check in”.
5. He Never Cooks: When he’s hungry, it’s Mom who feeds him. In fact, he will eat Mom’s food every night of the week without hesitation. He has never learned how to cook and doesn’t think he needs to if he can eat free at Mom’s house.
4. He Borrows Money: Every one of us, at some point in our lives, will run low on funds. However, if your man consistently runs low on funds, borrows money on a regular basis and doesn’t think there is a problem with it, cancel your next date and recommed a referral to Money 101.
3. His Mother Does His Income Tax Forms: Either he is too lazy to go to the IRS or he is too ignorant to do his own taxes. In either case, he consistently, and without fail, every year will have his mother do his taxes. First of all, he is a grown man and should be able to figure out how to add and subtract. Secondly, why does his mother need know how much money he earns?
2. His Mother Cleans His Room: When you spend time at his house, are you very careful to leave nothing behind so as to ensure his mother doesn’t have to clean up after you too? When did his mother become his maid?
And the Number One indication, your man has failed to launch:
1. He Wishes He Was Your Dog…and Openly Admits It!: As a “mama’s boy”, he has the overwhelming desire to be praised, cuddled and thrown treats. When he sees the dog receiving the attention he wants, he, without any hesitation or embarrassment, will comment that he wishes he was your dog.