Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge, also known as Imlac Covered Bridge, is the single last standing bridge of the bridges built by Horace King. Horace King was one of the most notable bridge builders in the south, and his covered bridges are some of the nicest pieces of construction still standing today. It was built sometime in the 1840’s. Of the two hundred fifty three feet of bridge, one hundred and fifteen feet are covered. Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge spans the Red Oak Creek (a major tributary of the Flint River) in Meriwether County, Georgia. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1973 as Structure #73000632.
Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge has the longest unsupported span of all the bridges in the state. The heart pine timbers are 15×15 between the piers; indeed a massive structure. It was originally built to allow farmers an easier access to Black Shoals. Today it sits on Covered Bridge Road connecting I-85 to Flat Shoals Road. The road itself is a one lane road, only 12-15 feet in width. Many covered bridges in Georgia have been closed to through traffic. However, Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge is one that still receives a good amount of traffic on any given day.
In November of 1998 a contract for $176,253 worth of rehabilitation was let as part of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA), a transportation enhancement program. Some of the proposed work contract included installing a new roof; replacing thirteen ceiling beams; replacing ten split lattice members, twelve pegs, twelve members, and weatherboard; Provisions for steel hangars for each beam, original and replacements; and installation of new height restrictors at each end of the bridge. (2003, Dept. of Transportation)
RedOak CreekCovered Bridge Historic Marker: This bridge was built in the 1840s by freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King (1807-1885). Constructed on the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened at each intersection with a total of approximately 2,500 wooden pegs, or trunnels. Although King is credited with the construction of many covered bridges throughout Georgia, this is his only surviving bridge of this design. At 391 feet, including the approaches, this structure is the oldest and longest covered bridge in Georgia. Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration. Dedicated December 1, 2001.