First off for those of you who don’t know, Myspace is a website that offers people there own personal webpage for blogging, networking, staying in touch with friends and even online dating. And of course all of this is free. With all of these functions it is no wonder thousands of people are already set up and using myspace accounts. If you haven’t set up an account yet you should probably go and do so before you continue with this tutorial. Go to www.myspace.com to set up your account for free. For the rest of this article I am going to assume you are somewhat familiar with the working environment of your myspace profile.
If you have looked at anyone’s profiles on myspace you have probably noticed that people have music automatically playing. Usually it is either their favorite song or new band they like. The problem however is that you have to chose one song to play. After a while your friends who are reading your blog or dropping by your site will get bored with the song maybe even start to hate it. After all variety and change is what makes life worth living. Now you could every so often change your profile song to something else, but when you figure the average song is five minutes long, depending how fast people read your blog or stay on your page, they might hear the same song repeating upwards of 3 or 4 times. Imagine if you were in your car and the same song played over and over again on the radio. You would probably change the station or turn the radio off all together. What I suggest is that you put a radio station on your profile instead of one song. So with out further ado I will show you the steps on how to do this.
1.Find a radio station that you like that streams their music over the radio. For this tutorial I chose Sky.fm at http://www.sky.fm/ they have many different genres to choose from like Jazz, 70s, 80s, Classical, and Top Hits.
2. On this web page next to the many radio stations are icons for winamp, media player, and aac plus.
Scroll down to the radio station you want. And look for the windows media player icon.
(Icon looks like a round circle with red yellow and blue on it with a triangle in the center of the circle.)
Next to the windows media player icon there should be two blocks, one that says 32k and one that says 20k.
Right click on the 20k image, you should see a couple of options. If you are using Internet explorer you want to move to the copy shortcut text. In Mozzilla or Firefox it will be Copy Link Location. This will put the radio station link on your computers clipboard.
Open up a new text document and click edit paste or the shortcut key Ctrl v
After you do so you should see something like this http://www.sky.fm/wma/the80s_low.asx 80s station
http://www.sky.fm/wma/tophits_low.asx Top Hits
http://www.sky.fm/wma/country_low.asx Country music
3. Now that you have the radio station link it is pretty easy from here on out. You will want to substitute your link in the following html code.
When your done it should look like this. On this code I substituted the 80s station url.
4. Highlight the code and hit Ctrl C to copy it or edit copy. Don’t forget to have your url substituted or it won’t work on your page.
5. On your myspace account page, next to your picture you should see edit profile. Click on that link, it should take you to another page where you will see the different categories on you page such as interests, movies and music. Scroll down to the music section and click on the edit link.
6. Paste the code from earlier into the text field. Click on the preview tab. If it works and you hear music click on the submit tab. If it did not work make sure you have put in the proper radio station link. You may not be able to hear the music on a Macintosh system but windows users will be able to hear it if they browse to your page.