Workplace injuries are more common than you may expect, even when you work in an office cubicle instead of a warehouse. Just because you sit at a desk most of the day doesn’t mean that you will be immune to a workplace injury. Back injuries are most common and have some of the easiest precaution measures. Taking just a few minutes out of your normal workday to exercise or to do simple preventative measures will save you time lost from work as well as keep you pain free in the long run. Below are 5 easy ways to help avoid workplace back injuries.
1. Exercise while working will help prevent back injuries at work. Just five minutes at a time is enough to make a real difference.
Some simple workplace exercises include:
a. Stretching your head to your left, holding for 20 seconds, then repeat to the right.
b. Stretching your fingers as far as possible, holding for 20 seconds, then bending and holding for 20 seconds.
c. Hold your left elbow with your right hand and stretch, hold for 20 seconds. Repeat with other arm.
2. Stand up and walk around the space you have while you are on the phone. This will increase circulation and decrease any chance for clots in the legs. This also falls under “workplace exercise”.
3. Make sure that you have a good structurally sound chair, one that will support your neck and your lower back. Neck and back pain are more likely from your chair than any other office item. If your chair isn’t good, place a rolled towel in the small of your back while you sit at your desk for added support and function.
4. Another chair related item, make sure your workplace office chair is adjusted to where your feet are on the floor flat while sitting, not hanging or dragging. This is important for proper alignment of the vertebrae. Make sure that you change your leg position often so that your circulation remains solid.
5. Don’t bend or use repetitive motions continually without short breaks. Any of this can cause wear and tear on joints and make you prone to office injuries especially back injuries. Even resting one minute every so often is enough to make sure that there is a short break among the repetition and can help in the prevention of pain.
Websites for Back Pain
Back and Neck Pain Support
#1 Back Pain Site