I make my living writing web content which isn’t always the easiest thing. Like most people I sometimes have periods where I’m just not sure what to write about, or where I run out of ideas or topics. Since if I don’t write I don’t get paid, I’ve come up with a number of techniques to help me come up with ideas for what to write about. Here are the techniques I use to jog my brain and come up with ideas for my writing.
1. Make a list of topics you are interested in. This may sound strange because after all we know what topics we like don’t we? Not necessarily, yes you probably know what you like, but what you may not realize is there may be more than one topic possibility connected to what you are interested in. For example, maybe you are interested in fashion, there are a number of topics that you could focus on such as teen fashion, fashion fads, fashion for the middle-aged woman, or even fashion as it relates to modeling which can be somewhat different than what the average person wears.
2. Brainstorm subtopics. Choose a topic from your list of topics and either circle it or put a line under it and then write down as many subtopics as you can think of that would fit under that topic. This can give you many ideas for your articles that you may not have thought of before.
3. Check out other article places online and see what other writers are writing about. This can give you ideas in that maybe you will read something and think of a completely different angle on the same topic for example. Also, you might want to take the opposing viewpoint and write an article countering what you’ve just read.
4. Read blogs on topics that interest you. Blogs are a great way to get ideas for articles because they are so varied; someone has an opinion about any topic you can imagine. Reading these opinions and thoughts by others may jog your brain into a whole new idea(s) for an article(s).
5. Make a list of things you know how to do. You’d be surprised how much fun it is to write an article explaining how to do something. Most everyone likes to learn how to do something new once in a while. This works especially well if it is something that not everyone knows how to do.
6. Cruise the freelance writing websites. Many times in ads on these websites the person will say what topics they want to hire someone to write about. I’m not suggesting that you use exactly the same topics, but it may jog your mind onto subtopics if you are having a difficult time coming up with ideas. While this may not be the ideal way to get ideas, occasionally you may find a topic that interests you or that you realize you know a lot about, and this can then help you to write an article or two.
7. Randomly put topics and/or subtopics into a popular search engine such as Google or Yahoo and see what others are writing about them. Don’t spend a lot of time on this, or you may find yourself spending more time reading than writing, no more than 30 minutes. Knowing what is showing up when certain topics are searched for though can give you ideas for what you could write, as well as what will generate the most interest by others.
I have used all of these techniques at one time or another to generate ideas for articles and I have found them all useful at times. Using more than one of these techniques at a time is sure to generate enough articles for you to write about and make income on.