The microwave oven is a household appliance that many today wouldn’t want to live without. Besides using the microwave oven to warm prepared foods, there are a number of fantastic tips and tricks for cooking and heating ingredients that make life in the kitchen much easier. There are also nonfood tips and tricks that you might not have ever considered.
You probably won’t find the following microwave oven tips and tricks in your microwave oven handbook. These microwave oven tricks and tips have been collected and shared over the years by those who use their microwave ovens on a regular basis. Try these tips and tricks, and you’ll not only save time in the kitchen, but you’ll make the most of cooking and using your microwave oven.
1. Want to get the most juice from fresh lemons? Try these handy lemon-squeezing tips and tricks and you’ll have more juice than you ever thought possible. Before squeezing fresh lemons, warm them in the microwave oven for about 40 seconds. You’ll get twice as much juice from each and every lemon.
2. Do you need softened cream cheese and you don’t have time to wait? Take it out of the foil wrapper, and heat it in your microwave on medium power between 60 and 90 seconds. You’ll have soft cream cheese that’s ready to use.
3. If you’ve discovered your brown sugar has hardened and you need it right away, try these handy tips and microwave tricks. Fill a cup of water, and place it in the microwave oven along side a microwave safe container containing the rock hard sugar. Heat ½ pound on high for about 2 minutes, and 1 pound for 3 minutes. Your brown sugar will come out as soft as the day you purchased it.
4. Do you need a hot compress right away? Don’t wait for hot running water. Try these tips and tricks for a fast solution. Heat a wet hand towel or washcloth on high for about one minute, and you’ll have a soothing hot compress fast.
5. Margarine takes a couple of hours to soften on the counter, but you can soften it right away in your microwave oven. Place it in a microwave-safe container, and heat it for 1 minute on low for perfectly softened margarine.
6. It’s almost impossible to read a rain soaked newspaper. Don’t throw it away. Heat it on a low setting until it’s dry and once again readable.
7. Everyone has at one time or another placed a postage stamp on an envelope only to decide later not to send it. Try these tips and microwave oven tricks to remove a postage stamp without causing damage. Simply place a couple drops of water on the stamp, and microwave it for about 20 seconds. The stamp will come off easily.
8. A crystallized jar of honey can be restored in the microwave oven. Remove the lid, and heat it on 50% power for about two minutes.
9. If you love to cook with onions but you don’t want to cry, trim off the ends, and heat them on full power for about 30 seconds. With these tips and tricks, chopping will be a tear free experience.
10. Chocolate chips are easy to melt in the microwave, but why dirty a bowl? Clip the corner of a bag of chips, and place it in the microwave for about 20 seconds on full power. Knead the bag when it’s cool enough to handle, and repeat the process until the chocolate is fully melted. Squeeze it out of the clipped corner, and you don’t even have to dirty another spoon.