One of the more interesting stories floating around lately is about this documentary that you can find by going to Google and typing the words “Loose Change.” The second link that pops up will play the movie for free for you. It is a documentary apparently done entirely on someone’s home computer attempting to refute all of the official claims of 9/11 and what happened. First, let me tell you, simply from a filmmaking perspective the movie is very well done. Second, as for the theories presented? Well, here you run into the same problems that you always run into with conspiracy theorists. They tell you a lot of facts, or statements they claim are facts, or simply declare officially explanations as lies but they never truly offer clear-cut facts of their own that show what really happened.
The theories run like this:
1. Drone planes made up to look like passenger planes were flown into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. The recordings from phone calls to people on the ground coming from flight attendants on those planes were faked using technology available to “morph” people’s voices to sound like other voices.
2. Bombs had been planted in weeks prior to 9/11 in the World Trade Center twin towers and in one of the other buildings that also came down. Therefore, after the planes hit, it was these bombs and controlled explosions, similar to the types you would find at a demolition, that brought down the towers and not fire from the planes.
3. A missile was fired into the Pentagon and it was not plane crash. Strange aircrafts supposedly spotted in the area just after the explosion at the Pentagon were actually military planes, although there is also talk in the documentary about a helicopter being spotted near the Pentagon before the explosion that is never really explained.
4. United Flight 93 landed in Cleveland, after the Cleveland airport had been evacuated, the passengers removed and an empty plane then took off and was shot down over Pennsylvania by a military aircraft.
5. Nine of the hijackers are alive and well including some infamous names like Atta.
6. All of this was done for some convoluted scheme to win insurance money for the guy who owned the World Trade Center property, to steal gold that was stored at the World Trade Center, and to justify going to war.
Once again, just as a movie, all of this information is presented in a very professional style. The movie is very well done and contains excellent animation especially connected with the flight that flew into the Pentagon. The information is presented in a way that is generally pretty clear despite some facts (such as the helicopter near the Pentagon) that are brought up and never adequately explained and quickly forgotten. So, as a movie, this is pretty compelling. The question becomes, is any of this right or is all of this just crazy?
It was not that long ago that it seemed pretty clear, to most people in the United States, that John F. Kennedy had been mercilessly killed by the government because he had plans to back out of Vietnam and to dismantle much of the CIA. According to many accounts, when JFK was killed the military essentially staged a coup and took control of this country. This is control that many believe they have continued to have right up until the present day. Yet, apparently, according to these theorists and this movie, somewhere along the way the military complex lost control of the country and needed to stage another “Pearl Harbor” type incident to justify establishing this control again.
Not long ago, I watched a scientific study of the JFK assassination. Using extensive and detailed observations taken from the many films that were running during the assassination along with sound recordings they pretty much determined that the Lee Harvey Oswald theory presented by the Warren Commission was not only possible, but the most likely scenario. They even did a remarkable re-enactment where they used specially prepared dummy bodies and ballistics jell combined with a sharp-shooter to recreate, almost exactly, the wounds created by the legendary “magic bullet.”
Why do I bring that up? Because it seems to me that whenever something truly senseless like this happens people have a tendency to look for a larger meaning in the events afterwards. No one wants to think what many have come to fantasize as our finest potential President was gunned down before his time by some loner nut with a mean streak and unsubstantiated grudge. At the same time no one wants to believe that thousands were killed on September 11 just because we were complacent and some nut in a cave with a twisted view of religion gave the orders for it. No, we have to believe that those thousands died for something more than that.
At the same time, it has now also been proven that the Gulf of Tonkin incident, the incident that was the justification for the entire escalation of the Vietnam War was a hoax. When just about anyone with a rational brains attempts to analyze the official reports behind that incident, it becomes painfully obvious that it never happened or was so minimal that it certainly did not justify over 50,000 American lives. Therefore the idea that to justify another war would require an incident of such shock, caught on the news live and in color, would need to happen.
I don’t claim to know one way or the other what happened on 9/11. I just think that there are some questions out there that have not been adequately answered, but I doubt they ever really will. The recent video footage from the Pentagon seems to show what looks like an object much larger than a missile striking the lawn in front of the building before exploding inside of it.
If the Bush administration, one of the most incompetent in history and least able to keep any secret, staged such a massive attack against its own people to ultimately justify going to war, I have some questions. Why not finish the job in Afghanistan? Why choose an enemy that is in Afghanistan at all when it seems the real objective was always Iraq? Why not set up patsy hijacker of Iraqi descent to better justify the war there? If they did such an elaborate job, they seem to have set up the wrong people for their ultimate goal, didn’t they? If they were going to create faked video of a terrorist claiming responsibility for the attack, why Osama Bin Laden? Given the sheer number of Saddam Hussein impersonators out there, why not have him doing it?
The video can be found online. I think it is worth watching. I think it is always worth questioning. I think it is amazing what people can do from home, on their home computers these days.
An interesting note, the film ends with the following notes: “We hold the 9-11 widows, orphans and others who were affected by September 11th in the highest regard.
We mean no disrespect to them or their loved ones in releasing this documentary
Likewise, we are not trying to capitalize off of them, despite what some may believe.
Rather, it is in their memory that we search for the truth.
We will gladly send a free DVD to anyone that lost family or friends on 9-11
Sincerely, Louder Than Words”
No mention of sending money they might make off of this to any charity to help out those families, however. Just free DVDs to further make them question what really happened that day.