I received the following email today:
We are looking into the possibility of homeschooling our child and came across Alpha Omega Academy and Christian Leadership e-Academy. Could you please look at these homeschool curriculum out and tell me what you think? While I was aware of Alpha Omega Academy, I had to look into Christian Leadership e-Academy. Here are the results of my research.
Alpha Omega Academy and Christian Leadership e-Academy are both essentially the same thing: Switched on School House homeschool curriculum with professional monitoring.
Homeschool Curriculum 1: Alpha Omega Academy
• Alpha Omega Academy is a good and popular program priced at approximately $1200.00 per year. I believe this price is fair.
• It is an all-inclusive program, meaning you will not have to search for individual subject curriculum’s.
• You can choose to use CD ROM or Life Pac based materials. I prefer Life Pacs as Life Pacs in general can are repetitive and boring to children who are used to multi media resources.
• If the child needs repetition and to revisit a concept a few times before it is cemented, then Life Pacs are useful. You might want to consider a combination of the two.
Homeschool Curriculum 2: Christian Leadership e-Academy
• It is essentially the same homeschool curriculum’s Alpha Omega Academy.
• Tuition is about the same as AOP.
• Just like Alpha Omega Academy, Christian Leadership e-Academy in that it uses Switched on Schoolhouse homeschool curriculum.
• They are a company that oversees Switched on Schoolhouse homeschool curriculum to make sure the kids stay on track and provide accreditation. This is good for busy parents and new homeschoolers.
I believe the best homeschooling advice I was ever given was to not spend too much money the first year. Many homeschoolers complain about plunking down a large amount of money the first year for a full program only to change gears halfway through the year. With that said….
• With either curriculum, you are essentially paying an extra $1000.00 per year to use Switched on schoolhouse, which you can purchase through AOP Publications for about $230.00. I am not saying it is a bad thing, as it will give you the ability to homeschool in a less time consuming and stressful way. You stay the parent… they are they teacher/administrator.
• Both curriculum’s are portable, as long as the child has access to a computer.
• To find out about the actual curriculum, read this review on Switched on School House, you can also get a demo CD Rom on that page: http://www.timberdoodle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=258
• You can save $1000.00 a year if you do not mind monitoring your child’s progress yourself, and doing some record keeping, Personally, I would just use the curriculum without the Academy option. However, it is would be your first year and would might make you more comfortable. The review mentioned above does say Switched on Schoolhouse does help to keep pretty good records.
• You really will not need an accreditation service until high school, although it is never mandatory.