Sam’s Wings & Subs is a popular hangout for the military on the Virginia Peninsula. Since I live right across the straight from this restaurant, I go there quite often. I, in fact, went today. The dining room was packed to the rafters with men in camouflage eating fresh salads, wings, subs and sandwiches.
Sam’s Wings & Subs is located on Hampton Highway in Yorktown, Virginia; just a few miles from Langley Air Force Base and NASA-Langley, which is also only a few blocks from Air Force housing. Sam’s also enjoys three nearby apartment complexes; mine and one adjacent (across the street from Sam’s) and another located adjacent to the restaurant. There are also a half dozen housing neighborhoods nearby. It is safe to say that this business enjoys a good location. However, I can assure you, if they didn’t provide excellent food and service, a good location alone would not keep them open. No worries, however, because Sam’s is excellent.
Sam’s menu offers a variety of choice items including appetizers, sandwiches, wings, and desserts. They have a cute little bistro style dining area complete with television for those who want to catch the news or view a sporting event. Food is available on site, through take-out, or by delivery. A minimum amount of $10 is required to take advantage of their free delivery service, which covers their direct serving area.
Sam’s sandwiches including subs, paninis, and wraps which range in price between $3.65 to $6.85. Here is a good cross section of that menu:
- Turkey Club with smoked turkey, bacon, Swiss cheese, tomato, red onions, roasted peppers, and pesto mayonnaise;
- Chicken with grilled strips of chicken breast with mozzarella, roasted peppers, slices of red onion, pesto or chipolte mayonnaise;
- Roast Beef with thin slices of oven-roasted beef, Swiss cheese, roasted peppers, red onion, chipolte mayonnaise;
- Ham & Cheese with layers of Danish ham, Swiss cheese, roasted peppers, tomato slices, red onions, chipolte, or pesto mayonnaise;
- Italian with sliced ham, Genoa salami, mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers, tomato, pesto or chipolte mayonnaise; and
- Tuna with fresh oil white meat tuna salad, Swiss cheese, red onions, tomato, and pesto mayonnaise.
- Steak & Cheese with fried onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Chicken Steak & Cheese with fried onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Chicken Fillet with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Grilled Chicken Breast with lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard;
- Chicken Parmesan with tomato sauce and cheese;
- Italian Sausage Parmesan with sautéed onions and roasted peppers;
- Meatball with tomato sauce and cheese;
- Italian with ham, salami, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, onions, oil, vinegar, and hot peppers;
- Ham & Cheese with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Turkey with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise; and
- Roast Beef with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.
- Chicken Tender with crispy chicken tenders, a blend of cheeses, lettuce, and a choice of sauces wrapped up in a large flour tortilla;
- Chicken Caesar with strips of juicy grilled chicken in a large flour tortilla filled with tomato, romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing;
- Ranch Chicken with crispy chicken tenders topped with ranch dressing wrapped in a large flour tortilla with lettuce, tomato, and a blend of cheeses;
- Popcorn Shrimp Queso with popcorn shrimp smothered in warm Queso, southwestern ranch dressing, and lettuce wrapped in a large flour tortilla; and
- Gyro with tomato, cucumber sauce, and onions served on pita bread.
- Hamburger with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Fish with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise;
- Tuna with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise; and
- Rueben with sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, and Swiss cheese.
Sam’s is also quickly garnering acclaim for their delicious Flavored Wings and Shrimp. Wings can be purchased in 10 flavors: hot, medium, BBQ, spicy BBQ, honey dijon, mild Cajun, roasted garlic butter, creamy ranch, and toxic waste (super hot!). They come in several size choices ranging from 10 piece up to 100 pieces and range in price from $5.95 (for 10 wings) to $48.75 (for 100 wings). They come both bone-in and boneless; the customer’s choice.
Shrimp is also served with any of the 10 sauces – – hot, medium, BBQ, spicy BBQ, honey dijon, mild Cajun, roasted garlic butter, creamy ranch, and toxic waste – – and come in 10 piece sizes to 50 piece sizes and range in price from $6.99 (for 10) to $28.99 (for 50).
Sam’s popular Salads range in price from $3.65 to $6.85:
- Tossed with mixed greens, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, tomato, and onions;
- Greek with mixed greens, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, tomato, onions, feta cheese, black olives, pepperchini, and anchovies (on request);
- Chef with mixed greens, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, tomato, onions, ham, salami, and cheese;
- Steak with mixed greens, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, topped with steak, tomato, onions, and cheddar cheese;
- Caesar with romaine lettuce, fresh grated cheese, croutons, Caesar dressing and anchovies (upon request);
- Popcorn Shrimp with crisp Caesar salad topped with seasoned popcorn shrimp, parmesan cheese, and garlic croutons; and
- Grilled Chicken with crisp Caesar salad topped with grilled chicken breast strips and anchovies (upon request).
Appetizers at Sam’s average $4.50:
- Bacon Cheese Fries;
- Fried Mushrooms;
- Fried Zucchini;
- Jalapeno Poppers;
- Mozzarella Sticks;
- Popcorn Shrimp; and
- Chicken Tenders W/Fries.
Side Orders average $2.29:
- French Fries;
- Onion Rings;
- Potato Salad;
- Pasta Salad;
- Coleslaw; and
- Celery W/Dressing.
Top off a delicious Sam’s meal with one of their scrumptious Desserts which average $3.00:
- Tiramisu sponge cake soaked in brandy and espresso and layered with mascapone cheese, whipped cream, and topped with shaved chocolate;
- New York Style Cheesecake; and
- Baklava, thin baked layers of fillo dough stuffed with walnuts and topped with syrup.
Sam’s offers daily lunch specials which vary every week but average around $5.00 for a combo meal which includes an entrée choice, a side item, and a drink.
Sam’s serves soft drinks, tea, and beer (both domestic and imported).
This is a great little home-style restaurant with good service and excellent food. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the Yorktown area.