Stone Mountain Covered Bridge is also known as Effie’s Bridge, College Avenue Covered Bridge, and Oconee River Bridge. It is 151 feet in length and was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1974 as Structure #74002374.
Stone Mountain Covered Bridge has had quite a colorful past. Once known as Effie’s Bridge after a local bordello, it now is part of a 3,200 acre park. There is much for a traveler to do at Stone Mountain. Other than the well known granite stone structure, there is festivals, hiking and camping, plenty of photography hot spots, and a paddle wheel boat.
On March 26, 1891 a contract was let to have Horace King’s son, Washington W. King, build this bridge in Clarke County Georgia. Mr. Washington King won this contract putting in a bid of $2,470. The actual construction of the bridge didn’t begin in Athens until 1892. The bridge was used as a connection between College and Hobson Avenues, spanning the Oconee River. At first this bridge was 162 feet long and made in the town lattice design. After the flood of 1911 the bridge was raised 8 feet to help keep the bridge from freshet damage. It was closed in 1963 due to flood damage and declared unsafe. The bridge was sold on February 18, 1964 for $1 and moved to its new site in Stone Mountain Park in March of 1965. This move cost an estimated $18,000. The move was also the reason for the removal of 30 feet of the bridge to its current size of 151 feet.
Stone MountainPark Campground
Highway 78 East
Stone Mountain, GA 30087
Check Out: 12:00 PM
Check In: 12:00 PM – 11:00 PM
TOLL FREE: 1-800-385-9807
441 Campsites ($23-$45 depending on location and utilities)
(144 full hookups, 254 partial with water and electricity, and 43 primitive sites)
Amenities: Grocery store, comfort stations with full showers, laundry, playground, volleyball, pool
Campground Events: Morning Fireside Socials, Non-denominational church service, Family Game Nights, Ice cream Socials, Easter Weekend activities, Memorial Day Weekend Activities, July 4th Celebration, Labor Day Weekend Activities, and a Fall Festival.
Hiking Map: http://www.stonemountainpark.com/images/maps/hiking/smp_map_hiking.pdf
Stone MountainCovered Bridge Historical Marker: “Covered bridges” or “lattice bridges” were common throughout the Eastern U.S. during the nineteenth century. This bridge formerly spanned the North Fork of the Oconee River in the city of Athens, GA., connecting College Avenue and Hobson Avenue. Clarke County Ordinary S. M. Herrington let a building contract 26 March, 1891, for $2,470, to W. W. King. It costs $18,000 to move the bridge from Athens, 60 miles, to this point. Bridges like this were refuge for travelers during storms, courting couples, and robbers who hid themselves on the overhead timbers and dropped down on unsuspecting victim.