There is such a shortage of summer workers in tourist mecca, Virginia Beach, Virginia, that some local employers hire and house young people from Russia and other Eastern European countries to cover their staffing shortfalls. Virginia Beach has the longest natural beach in the world and, as such, is a very popular tourist destination in the summer months. Virginia Beach is a large suburban city with a population of approximately almost half a million. Summers see the streets of the “strip” packed with tourists, principally from the East Coast and Canada. A long boardwalk is the focal point of the “resort area” along with Atlantic and Pacific Avenues. Countless hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and other amenities line the streets of the resort area. Rudee Inlet and Shore Drive are other locations where numerous sources of employment, especially in the areas of restaurant service and boating, can be found. Ecotourism outfitters can be found servicing the area of Back Bay in the Sandbridge section of Virginia Beach.
In general, these are the types of summer jobs that are sure to be available in Virginia Beach:
1. Hotel staff: There are literally hundreds of hotels, bed-and-breakfasts, and rental cottages in Virginia Beach, ranging from the glamorous new Hilton to rooms in the old-style beach cottages of yesteryear. Most do heavy hiring in summer for front desk attendance, room service, maid service, and restaurant staff.
2. LIfeguards: Virginia Beach employs its own city lifeguards that patrol public beaches. Then there are the lifeguards that man hotel and neighborhood pools as well as the water attractions at Ocean Breeze Water Park.
3. Shop attendants: Souvenir shops, umbrella and bike rental outlets, convenience stores, and more fill in resort area and are always on the lookout for dependable employees.
4. Attraction attendants: Among the museums that may be hiring are the Virginia Aquarium. There are tour guides, watersport instructors and rental staff, and tickets sales stafff to be hired at many attractions along the boardwalk, Atlantic and Pacific Avenues, and beyond.
6. Waitstaff: The Virginia Beach boardwalk and secondary streets are replete with restaurants, snack bars, and bars that are always hiring, especially in summer.
And there are some extra-special jobs in Virginia Beach…
How about being a pirate for the summer? The Pieces of Eight Pirate Cruise is currently auditioning for pirate crew!
The Young Chefs Academy is hiring chefs and assistant chefs to teach kids about the joy of cooking!
Wild River Outfitters is hiring kayaking and canoeing guides!
Whatever type of casual summer employment you might be looking for can be found in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Come and enjoy the summer on the world’s longest beach!