It’s a fact of life that there are two things you cannot escape Death and taxes. While you might be able to postpone one or the other for a period of time, eventually they will both catch up to you. Personally, I’m far more afraid of taxes than I am of death. Therefore, I find it advisable to rely on the experts in dealing with tax issues. If you need tax preparation assistance, here are some excellent places to go on the Virginia Peninsula:
Hampton Roads Tax Advisory Group, located at 739 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 704, Newport News, Virginia, provides tax preparation for seniors for a cost of $49. A CPA prepares all tax returns. The group specializes in ways to increase disposable income and reduce taxes on social security. They also provide estate planning, as well as tax and financial consulting by an attorney/CPA. Initial consultations are free.
H & R Block. With locations throughout the Peninsula, H & R Block guarantees to get you the maximum refund allowed or it’s free. They are noted for accurate and affordable service, highly regarded tax professionals, and convenient hours. With over 50 years of tax preparation experience, you can trust H & R Block with your tax information. Here are their various Peninsula locations:
- Grafton at Washington Square Shopping Center;
- Hampton at 2400 Cunningham Drive, 3821 Kecoughtan Road, and Nickerson Plaza;
- Newport News at Newmarket South Shopping Center, Denbigh Village Center, Newport Square Shopping Center, Patrick Henry Mall, 15611 Warwick Blvd, and 3927 Kecoughtan Road.
- Williamsburg at Kingsgate Green Shopping Center, and Williamsburg Crossing Shopping Center.
- Yorktown at Shady Banks Shopping Center.
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. With locations through the Peninsula, Jackson Hewitt is known for courteous, personalized customer service. They pride themselves on professionals who know all of the tax law changes. They offer Super fast refunds and free electronic filing with paid tax preparation. Here are their various Peninsula locations:
- Grafton at 5321 George Washington Memorial Highway;
- Hampton at 358 Towne Centre Way, 227 Fox Hill Road, 2219 Kecoughtan Road, 1965 E. Pembroke Avenue, 3001 W. Mercury Blvd., and 37 W. Mercury Blvd.
- Newport News at 605 Newmarket Drive, 2514 Jefferson Avenue, 10153 Jefferson Avenue, 580 J. Clyde Morris Blvd, 401 Oriana Road, 15435 Warwick Blvd., Stoneybrook Shopping Center, 12401 Jefferson Avenue, 568 Denbigh Blvd., and 13811 Warwick Blvd.
- Williamsburg at 465 Merrimac Trail, 118 Waller Mill Road, 731 E. Rochambeau Road, and 1507 Richmond Road.
- Yorktown at 5007 Victory Blvd., and 2601 Washington Memorial Highway.
Liberty Tax Service. With locations in Hampton, Newport News, and Yorktown, Liberty is the fastest growing tax preparation company in the U.S. They are known for fast, accurate, and friendly service and offer quick loans on refunds (most within 24 hours). Liberty handles both business and personal taxes, provides year round service, electronic filing, and extension filing when necessary. They are provide a money back guarantee. Here are their locations.
- Hampton at 2070 Coliseum Drive, 2216 Kecoughtan Road, and 3010 W. Mercury Blvd.
- Newport News at 1047 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., 317C Chatham Drive, 2602 Jefferson Avenue, 9823 Jefferson Avenue, 11287 Jefferson Avenue, 12917 N. Jefferson Avenue, 13678 Warwick Blvd, and 15525 Warwick Blvd.
- Yorktown – 5005 Victory Blvd.
Olde Hampton Tax Service, located in downtown Hampton at 7 E. Queens Way, provides 24-hour refund service. No cash is required; all fees are deducted from your tax refund.
Pay Less Tax Service, located at 809 Main Street in Newport News. With 25 years of experience, Pay Less offers professionals service for seniors, military, and businesses. Providing year round service, Pay Less offers E-File, real estate, and divorce tax advice.
Quality Tax Service, Inc. specializes in individuals and small business returns with rapid refunds, electronic filing, and refund loans in one or two days. If you can’t come to them, they will come to you. Quality Tax Service, Inc. is located in Hampton at 70 W. Mercury Blvd., Suite 101.
Call and speak with two or three different tax agencies before deciding which one to use. Ask each agency a series of questions that you have prepared before hand. These might include questions about their specific areas of expertise, the amount of time they estimate it will take to complete your return, and what tax services (e.g., E-File, quick refund, etc.) they offer. Be certain to gage if their personality and professionalism suits your particular requirements.
Once you have decided which tax agency you want to use, make certain that you have all of the information your tax preparer will need to complete your tax return before you make your appointment. Take the time to categorize information and sort each category by date. If possible, take along your previous one to three years of tax returns. This will save time, in the event your preparer needs to know how your return was previously filed. If you have received any information from the Internal Revenue Service – – like notice of audit or indication of problems with previous returns – – be sure to that information with you.
Do not be afraid to ask questions about your return at any point. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your return, do not hesitate to raise questions and request clarification. Remember that tax preparers work for you. You are the customer and you deserve the best service possible.