So you think you can dance is another reality television show that auditions people who think they have some extraordinary dancing skills. If you are considering taking part in an audition for “So You Think You Can Dance” there are several things that you will need to give serious thought to before you audition. Following is a list of ten things that you should really take the time to think about.
1. Find out how good of a dancer you really are. Just asking your friends and family will not get you the real opinion that you need. If you are considering auditioning then you should try to have a professional in the field of dance or a group of complete stranger’s watch you dance and give you their opinions.
2. Take lessons. Even if you think that you have what it takes to really make it on this show, there is nothing wrong with taking a few additional lessons. This will give you the opportunity to brush up on a few rusty areas. It may also help you to finalize your decision to audition.
3. Make sure you are in shape. As a professional dancer you should make sure that you are already in good condition. But when it comes to this particular competition they are going to make you push your body to the ultimate limit. In order to prepare for this you will need to make sure that you are in the best shape of your life.
4. Get a physical exam by your doctor before you audition. This is one thing that many people don’t usually think about. But in order to last physically through the entire competition you have to make sure that your body is up to the challenge. Some people make it past the first initial round only to discover that their body is giving up on them and they don’t know why. By getting a physical before you audition a doctor will be able to point out any potential problems. If they do spot some minor problems then they may be able to help you rectify them before you audition.
5. Make sure you have plenty of support. Some people go to auditions alone with no kind of support. If always help to have someone who is willing to give you their honest opinion on how well you are dancing. This would be in addition to having someone who is looking out for your best interests by your side the whole way.
6. Try auditioning for something in your community. It may not be a bad idea to try to audition for a play or other type of performance in your area. This will give you a chance to practice your dancing skills in front of an audience. You may not realize it but some people do suddenly get stage fright when they are in front of all those people.
7. Don’t plan on making friends with other contestants. One mistake that many people seem to make is trying to make friends with those they are competing against. There is nothing wrong with being friendly, but your main focus needs to be on dancing. Remember this is a competition; you do not want any other emotions getting in the way.
8. Put relationships on hold. If you are dating someone and are not married then you will not want to start dating a few months or even a year before you plan on auditioning. Remember if you really want to win you need to be focused on your goal. A relationship can cause you a lot of emotional ups and downs. This is especially the case if you are away from the person for an extended period of time.
9. Prepare yourself for criticism. The one thing that the judges want to see is that you are capable of taking the criticism that they give you. Some people take criticism the wrong way and up getting really offended by what the judges may tell them.
10. Apply any piece of advice you are given. If someone observes your audition routine and offers some suggestions on how you can improve it, try not to be so close minded to what they have to say. Their suggestions may mean the difference between you making it to the finals and you being voted out in the first round.
The dance show “So you think you can dance” Airs on fox. If you would like additional information on the show itself and how and where to audition you can visit the fox website at www.fox.com/dance/shoingo/.