It’s been a big season for Peyton Manning. In the playoffs, he finally defeated Tom Brady and the New England Patriots with the greatest comeback in conference championship game history. Manning then silenced critics once and for all by proving he can win the big one, as he led the Colts to a Super Bowl victory over the Bears. If that wasn’t enough, he was even named Super Bowl MVP.
The 2006 season will not only cement Peyton Manning’s legacy. It will also ensure that he will remain maybe the most marketable athlete on the planet. Manning has done some of the funniest and most loved commercials in recent memory. While he is most known for his MasterCard ads, there are other great commercials showcasing the acting skills of the best quarterback in football. Here are the top eight Peyton Manning commercials of all time.
8. MasterCard “Together Forever” sweepstakes. This MasterCard commercial is from 2004. Some of the highlights are watching Manning being pushed around by Michael Strahan while walking on a beach, Manning looking nervously as the other players receive massages, and Manning meditating while 19 defensive players glare at him. I love watching the impression Manning has on his face while interacting with his foes. This commercial can be seen here.
7. NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV. Another older ad, this one has Peyton at his house having satellite television installed. When asked if he wants NFL Sunday Ticket, Manning is insulted. He insists that he has other interests, like foreign films for example. When asked one more time if does want the “NFL thing,” he responds with a nod and an “oh yeah.” This commercial can be seen here.
6. The Manning Family for nflshop.com. This is a great commercial where Peyton, younger brother Eli, and daddy Archie are all featured. In the ad the three Manning men huddle up before making routine decisions, such as what to make for breakfast or preparing to watch a movie in their living room. The best part is at the end when Eli drops eggs in the kitchen and Peyton yells an audible, checking breakfast to pancakes. This commercial can be seen here.
5. MasterCard “Fans.” The first of the infamous MasterCard ads, this commercial has Peyton following around everyday people at their jobs, cheering them on. Manning tailgates for insurance adjusters, seeks for a high-five from accountants, and cheers when a gentleman fills his gas tank. The most memorable moment is when Manning is awaiting meat from the deli. He chants “Cut that meat ! Cut that meat!” That moment is truly priceless. This classic commercial can be found here.
4 This Is SportsCenter: The Manning Family. Archie brings Eli and Peyton to the ESPN headquarters for a tour of the studios. However, the two brothers are fighting with one another. Peyton flicks Eli in the ear, and Eli responds with the always popular wet willy. Peyton kicks his brother in the rear, Eli shoves back, and Archie looks unhappy. One of the classic SportsCenter commercials, which can be seen here.
3. MasterCard “Supporting Your Team.” The newest of the MasterCard commercials, this one has different individuals making mistakes while working. A waitress drops a pile of plates, a paper boy throws the newspaper through Manning’s front window, and movers drop a $3000 piano. All the while, Manning continues to support and cheer these people on. My favorite part is when he tells the movers “they’re not saying ‘boo.’ They’re saying ‘mooooovers.'” Watch this hilarious commercial here.
2. NFL Fever 2003 for the Xbox. This commercial was number one until the 2006 season. In the ad, Manning is walking around practicing his trash talk. What makes it so funny are the confused looks on his face and the absurd way he attempts to talk smack. At the end, we find out that he is doing this so he can mock opponents on Xbox Live when he does well playing the video game. Manning throws for a touchdown on NFL Fever, and tells his opponents “your defense is offensive.” Watch Manning act like a dork here.
1. NFL Mobile from Sprint. Not only is this the best commercial with Peyton Manning. It is the best sports commercial I’ve seen in a very long time. Manning is in a garage dressed up as a Peyton Manning fan. He is wearing one of his game jerseys, a crooked black mustache, and a ridiculously odd black wig. The “fan” suggests that, with NFL Mobile from Sprint, a fan can catch highlights of his or her favorite player; “like Peyton Manning. That guy’s pretty good. If you like 6’5” 230 pound quarterback…laser, rocket arm.” I think I had this one memorized about a week after it came out. I watch the greatest Peyton Manning commercial here at least once a week.
Now that Manning has finally won his ring, I cannot wait to see what great commercial he is in next. I have no doubt that it will be memorable, just as the above eight are. There is even a good chance that, when that day comes, this list just may need to be edited.