You have probably heard that press releases, properly written and submitted, are important for the successfulness of any business or individual wanting customers or notoriety. You have probably read others’ releases in the business section of your paper, but did not stop to realize the importance they had on you or other readers. Let’s examine that more closely…
THE IMPORTANCE OF A PRESS RELEASE
1) Makes your current organizational members feeling like they belong to something important.
2) Increases name recognition. The more times someone sees your name in front of them, the more likely they are to remember your name.
That is well known psychological fact. That, in turn, that will lead to word of mouth referrals. How many times have you been talking to someone who was looking for something and you said, “Oh, I just read about The Widget Store. It sounds like they could help you. Let me find their information.” Does that ring a bell? That is name recognition.
3) Gives the public a better understanding about what you do and what you have to offer. Read a press release about DX Company and, if written properly, you will know about what they’re involved in.
4) Gain free visibility. There is no charge for press releases if you write them yourself. That is why it is so important to know how to properly write them. There is fierce competition for the editor’s attention and space.
5) You will be viewed as an expert in your field. If you are good enough to have your name in print, you come across as knowing ‘your stuff’.
6) You will have more influence in both your community and business world. The more people hear about you, the more important your opinion becomes. We have all seen those CF Hutton ads where everyone hushes when he talks. He has influence.
7) Other businesses view you as a resource. If your business has things happening enough to be in print, others will see you as source of information. You come across as someone ‘happening’. People like that.
8) It can help promote your mission. The more people who know your mission, the more chances of supporting it.
A well written, attention getting press release will have you stand out in the media’s eyes and spark curiosity and have your readers take action. It will have the media make a mental note of you and have them give your next release special preference. Having good media connections is important to the success of your press releases. Even in the interim months when you do not submit a press release, it is a good idea to simply call and talk to the editor. This develops rapport and keeps you fresh in their mind.
Now that you can see how necessary properly written and submitted press releases are to the success of your endeavor, isn’t it time you got started on the ‘press release bandwagon’? Yes, it is.